My Fight for Learning

I was born in a a small village  of less than three hundred  people , who were  relatives . Until the beginning of the 1990s  there were no modern roads to the village . Also the nearest village was 5 km away .  We didn't have schools or kindergarten and no transportation .As a result , we had to walk 5km in the morning to get to school and another five going back home . In Winter it  was rainy , muddy and cold .   In Summer it was too hot at noon . That was Elementary and Junior High school . For High school we had to  go   to the next town . Girls were not allowed to go to High School They had to stay at home and wait for a husband to come .
 When I finished 9th grade I couldn't bear the thought of leaving school . My parents are uneducated , my father worked in constructions and my mother is a housewife . I have four sisters and eight brothers , which made it financially more difficult . But they were very supportive and understood my determination to study . After a long fight with the uncles I enrolled at high school and  I was one of  the top students . My ambitions didn't stop there , I wanted to get university education and that was another fight . Fortunately, I succeeded in convincing my father and he approved . I registered to Haifa University and also rented an apartment with other four girls .
Today we have School bus which takes the children in my village to school . Girls go to High school , while many girls go to colleges and universities . I am very proud to be the first girl to study at high school and university in my village .Actually , I paved the way for the other girls  in my village . 

Comments

  1. Dear Bothania! Such an interesting and touching story. I am very excited. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most inspiring story of determination and courage. You've set a great example for your students to follow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homogeneous Cllassrooms