How to Close the Gap Between Young and Old Children in One Family

Being a mother of five children who were all under the age of ten was stressful! During those years I was busy working full time as a teacher and taking care of five little kids. My oldest one was around eight when my fifth daughter was born. I remember juggling between chores, and trying to make sure there was always enough healthy food and clean clothes. I wanted to go to all parent meetings to make sure that they were all okay in their respective schools.

There were many positive aspects to dealing with five children under the age of ten. They all, more or less, went to bed at the same time, they all shared a simple dinner together, and were all happy. Furthermore, they all enjoyed the same activities on a vacation. I could take them to the nearest park and they would all be thrilled. We could take them to a youth hostel during summer vacation and they would all enjoy it.

Since then, however, things have changed. Nowadays I have eight children and there is a significant age gap between my first child and my youngest one. Today my eldest is a young woman, still single and twenty five years old, while her youngest brother is seven. Today things seem more complicated. Of course, they don’t all sleep at the same time, and as a result, they usually don’t eat dinner together either. Moreover, it is very difficult to please everyone when we go on vacation.

With all this in mind, I have some tips for mothers who experience a similar family structure. For example, you can enjoy nice conversations with your teenagers after you put the little ones to bed. Furthermore, you can try to take the children to different activities; the younger ones can go to an amusement park, and the older ones can go to a play with you. While on vacation you can choose hikes that can be enjoyable for all different ages. Most importantly, you can have the older children help and play with the younger children.

In summary, my experience is reflective of the change that many families go through, and I am sure each family can find the benefits to this structure, and thereby make the best of their family’s growth.

Comments

  1. I am one of seven. I really like the experiance of being part of a big family! We have a lot of age gaps so the older ones always helped my mother with the youhger ones like you mentioned. B"H we are a very happy family:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaya- I realy appriciate you very much! you sound like a very caring mother. I am a mother of two thanks g-d and hope and pray to be a mother of a big happy and health family. acorrding to what you worte my mom always use to say: "engoy your kids when they are young, you dont have to worry so much". but i know that g-d who gives me my children- gives me the power to raise them up.

      Delete
    2. You are so blessed to have eight children.I know it is not easy but in some ways it seems like it should be easier rasing eight children because the older ones can help take care of the youngest, help around the house and do some shopping.

      Delete
  2. I also have five children. When they were younger, "juggling" was the key word. Now they've all flown from the nest and I'm happy if they call me a few times a week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homogeneous Cllassrooms