English Music

when I was in elementary school, my sister often listened to English songs.
We all enjoyed it though I especially loved David Bowie's music. I used to listen
to his music at every opportunity that I had and wanted to understand every single word in English that appeared in the songs. I fell in love with the language and started to explore it throughout my childhood.
Today, when I teach english, I always tell my pupils to listen and enjoy English songs, to search for words that they don't know and even play the songs again and again and sing along.
I am proud to say that they share with me their favorite songs, bring them to class and listem to them during their breaks.
I must also remark that my love to music has passed to all my children and they listen to English music on a regular basis. As a result, they all have a wonderful vocabulary, they speak fluently and they spread their love for English music everywhere.

Comments

  1. I also think that music and songs are great for leaning a language. Unfortunately I realise that I've been using it less and less. I find that the older I get, the less in touch I am with what students consider 'cool' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you and I feel fortunate to have grown up daughters and a teenager that update me ...

      Delete
    2. I also agree with you, Judith. And I often use this tool with students. It raises their motivation, as well. For example, last month we learned about life and art of Elvis Presly.
      How can we learn about him and not to listen to his songs! So we learned about him through songs, too. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the song called Thursday's Child. And his last album was just great. I still remember listening to it two winters ago minutes before I came home and the tragic news popped up on my phone😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u for reading and commenting... I also felt sad when I heard the tragic news...

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a great idea.I'll bet the kids would love it.Maybe in elementary schools we can already use songs in Grade 6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank u for reading and commenting. I agree about the 6th grades and I somtemes do it in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is also one of the ways I fell in love with English. We used to love finding words in the song and sing along.I need to use it more often in my classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope we will never stop using music in the classroom and that the younger generation will make sure we are familiar with contemporary music too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still learning a lot about American culture, history society and slang from rock and folk music. I understand much better the 1960s and 1970s in America when I listen to American music. I can even tell what genre sound characterizes the east coast versus the west coast. I'm really excited when I succeed to pass my enthusiasm to my students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Music and songs are powerful motivational tools in language teaching. They may be related to mostly any topic. Songs are good as warm up activity at the beginning of the lesson, especially when you enter a big hyperactive noisy group. Instead of making angry face just start singing "Ten little monkeys jumping on the bed" or "Old McDonald had a farm" with a long list of animals. At least the noise will be in English. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homogeneous Cllassrooms