HOW I DECIDED TO BECOME A TEACHER

I was born in Moscow. At the age of seven I entered a regular elementary/secondary school. When we were in the 4th grade our administration decided to change the status of the school. So, it became a Special English school. My parents had to make a decision whether to continue or to change the school, my father knew German, my mother - French. And my grandmother spoke Yiddish. Nobody knew English, we didn't have any digital tools at that time, they were afraid that they would not be able to help me. But I was an excellent pupil and they decided to take a risk and rely on me and the teachers who persuaded them to let me stay. It was a hard school period because we had to pass the programme of three years in one year. But we succeeded. Our young English teachers were so nice, so professional, the lessons were so interesting that I fell in love with English and with a profession. At the age of 11 I had no doubt that I would become a teacher.
We had a lot of special lessons: geography, English literature (Beowulf stuck in my memory), n/p articles translation, drama in English (oh, I remember that Hiawatha!), several lessons with native speakers. In the 70-ties a group of several students (me too) was sent to special afterschool courses of young guides under the supervision of Intourist and the House of Friendship. After getting certificates in summer we started working with youth delegations from England and Canada. It was interesting but not for me. I insisted on entering the pedagogical university and becoming a school teacher. I tried a lot of professions. But I always took hours in some school. Even becoming a senior teacher at the foreing languages department in the University of electronics and mathematics  I continued working in a jewish school, opened by rabbi Grossman in Moscow. I cannot imagine my life without working with kids. I had a short (several months) experience working in pre-school in the US. And now I am a teacher here, in Israel. My dream has come true and I am happy!
Irina

Comments

  1. You are still an excellent student and I'm sure that you are a wonderful teacher .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best, Bothania. It is a pleasure to study together with you. Let's be in touch after the course!

      Delete
    2. I'm happy to hear that in addition to stories being shared, friendships have been forged on this course.

      Delete
  2. I join Bothaina's words. You share creative ideas in class and I'm sure you're an excellent teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irina, thank you for sharing with us your own story. It's a special one!
    BTW, I like you image :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That was in Moscow 3 years ago. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. A happy teacher is just so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kirill, for your kind attention.

      Delete
  5. It's a great inspirational story, especially for the young beginning teachers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homogeneous Cllassrooms