How I Almost Gave Up Teaching


When people ask me from what age I started my education career my answer is from age 15. Back in 9th grade, I was a counselor in my youth group, which was is called 'Ariel'. Being a counselor gave me experience in creating interactive activities, leading the group through an activity and building personal relationships. It was hard work but very rewarding and fun.One experience led to the next and I found myself being involved in different educational projects. I lead different seminars, volunteered with students whothat came from families in need and came up with different initiatives in my school.
When I had to pick what to do for my national service, it was clear to me that I wanted to teach in a school. I taught in six6 different schools In Dimona about Judaism and values. For my  second year of my national service I flew overseas to Saint Louis. I taught in different schools and programs about Judaism and Zionism.
At this point in my life it was clear to me that my destiny would be in teaching so I went to study Education in  Herzog college. When I finished I decided to go do my staj in a school that includes kids that come from complex backgrounds. I thought this challenge wouldn’t be so hard. It turned out to be the opposite.
I was sure that being a teacher in a classroom would be easy for me due to my previous experience. I didn’t  imagine that teaching as part of an informal program in school  is very different than being part  of the school system. When you are a teacher your position in relation to the kids is very different. I was used to being a nice counselor who the kids through personal connection. I was more like a friend. I learned very fast that being a teacher requires forming rules, being strict at the beginning , checking tests, giving homework. This was all new to me and was a big shocker. My students quickly caught on to the fact that I   did not have much experience in the school system and made my life very hard. I had to be very tough and strict so I can get order in the class. This wasn’t the person I wanted to be.  I couldn’t  be fun and creative because it caused noise and a mess in class. I hated teaching.  
This was very frustrating for me because I was failing at something that was essential and important  in my life. This made me question myself and feel that maybe I wasn’t cut out for teaching. I almost gave up my teaching career but after having several conversations with a friend who is also a teacher I felt like I had to give it another try. I moved to a different school that is more supportive of new teachers. Due to  the experience I gained from last  year I knew exactly what not to do and how to handle classroom management. This gave me a good start. I am enjoying teaching and I hope it continues this wayJ

Comments

  1. A very candid post. Enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are a lot of teachers who feel the way you do, we really teach the way we want because of the discipline problems in most school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most teachers have experienced such feelings and thoughts one way or another , but if you get a supportive staff and management at school you get over it .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is very enlightening. It's great that you found a way to overcome the difficulties you described.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm agreed with Bothaina. Most of us experience that feeling of disappointment, especially the new teachers. The first five years are critical for teaching profession. If you manage to survive, with experience acquired, you get more self confidence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homogeneous Cllassrooms