Teaching English as a Hebrew Speaker


I have always wondered regarding the use of Hebrew as a native language in the English teaching process in my classes.
obviously, there are advantages and disadvantages of using a mother tongue in teaching a foreign language, however I found that most teachers perceive the use of Hebrew in teaching English as an advantage and few see the disadvantages.
Nevertheless, they tend to perceive themselves as "sinners" when Hebrew moves in to the classroom, even through the "back door".
As an elementary school teacher, I usually use Hebrew when I teach grammatical and semantic stractures, as well as various fields of classroom management.
I realized that it helps them understand the rules, think about the comparison with their language and apply the rules quickly.

Comments

  1. I don't believe Hebrew, or any other L1 should be banned from foreign language classroom. Use it or not, It depends on various factors, such as the stage of language learning, the lesson goals, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homogeneous Cllassrooms