The Light of Chanukkah

   Chanukkah is finally here. This time of year brings so much light and joy for each Jew's life.     Jews around the world cherish this holiday so dearly. However it is more special in Jerusalem-the location where the miraculous Chanukkah story began. As you walk around the city, it is really exciting to see the menorah lightings in every Jewish home's window, the variety of delicious doughnuts, the beautiful big menurahs of Chabad towering over every neighbourhood, and the children playing with dreidels. Moreover, the many tourists who gather in the holy land at this time of the year, make you feel proud to be a jew.

    I love Chanukkah. As a teacher, I wait for this holiday to arrive, and I am sure that other teachers feel the same. Chanukka is a big holiday for teachers because it gives us eight days of vacation after two months of hard work. We work endless hours that involve parent-teacher conferences, staff meetings, special occasions at school, and of course lots of tests and dictations to mark and correct. This eagerly awaited holiday gives us time to rest, meet family and friends, and travel.

   Recently, I heard on the news that the minister of education was considering cutting down some of the days of longer holidays such as Chanukkah and Pesach. My fellow teachers and I hope that the Ministry of Education decides not to go through with this decision because teaching is a very demanding profession. Although I love my job and see it as a mission, I believe it is important for teachers to have these holidays as a break."What do you think?"

Comments

  1. What a lovely post. In the colleges where I teach, the Hannukah break varies from year to year. Sometimes we get a few days, sometimes only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanukkah is new for me but it is definitely starting to look for a place in my mesentery; I mean in my heart of course. And I do believe in miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has always been my favorite holiday since early childhood. I remember being fascinated by the the colourful candles that burnt in a dark room while we were singing Hannukah songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe Histadrut HaMorim and Irgun HaMorim will allow this to happen. The both unions are against affecting teachers' rights for holiday break, as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homogeneous Cllassrooms